Saturday, July 14, 2007

Trends from the Trenches


As a decorator and design consultant it is part of my job to study the trends and keep abreast of what is new in custom home furnishings and I love that part of my work because it allows me to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes - purusing design blogs and magazines.

A trend that I am thrilled is making a comeback is the use of wallcovering in interior decor. For years faux finishes have cornered the market on what to do with a naked wall but watch out my faux friends, the trend now is to use wallcovering in new and innovative ways.

Check out the July issue of Blueprint Magazine for these unique wallpaper applications and a handy guide for do-it-yourselfers:

Use the lines of a graphic wallpaper to create a silhoutte that serves as a virtual headboard.
Cover a wall in a grid pattern as a background and then apply a lush overscaled floral or tropical pattern as a mural.
Cut out a motif from a piece of wallpaper to make a backing plate for wall sconces or chandeliers.
Liven up a flat panel door with wallpaper insets.
To shop for wallpaper visit these vendors:
Thibaut
Blue Mountain
York
Seabrook
Jaima Brown